Once upon a time, there was nothing known as social media platforms and artists in the likes of Majek Fashek and Victor Uwaifo amongst other great men still made it in the industry. Today, it is a different story for the young generation artists as they actually use their social media platforms to grade how important or trendy they are in the entertainment industry.
I decided to go on some social media platforms in the likes of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to see the “successful” ones and these are the results (using Instagram);
TOP 10 MOST INFLUENTIAL NIGERIAN MUSICIANS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- DAVIDO: Davido tops with over 5 million followers on his Instagram handle @davidoofficial. Birth name being Adedeji David Adeleke, he happens to be an American citizen although Nigerian. He came into the spot light in 2011 with his major hit “Dami Duro” which made loud waves through the country as well as internationally as well. It was immediately followed by a track he called “Back When” which featured Naeto C (Super C) and happened to be a major banger. Ever since then, Davido has been dropping nothing but hits from back to back.
- WIZKID: Ayo Balogun aka WizLion comes next with over 4.1 million followers on Instagram. Wizkid is a Nigerian entertainer, songwriter, performer and gifted son of the soil. We all know how Wizkid started off under Banky W in the E.M.E record label alongside co artists, Skales and Shaydee. His first official single which brought him to the spot light happened to have been “Holla at your Boy” with a video which starred his ex-girlfriend but girls friend at the time. CEO of Star Boy Label which is an umbrella for Mr. Eazi (even though he claims he was not under Star Boy) and R2Bees just to mention a few..
- DON JAZZY: The Mavin boss himself comes next with 3.4 million followers on the Instagram social media platform. His real name, Michael Collins Ajereh is a Nigerian multi-talented producer, singer, song writer, boss, entrepreneur and more. He happens to have been the boss of Mo’hits before the break up and the rebranding into Mavin. Je has quite a number of talents with the likes of Reekado, Korede, Di’ja and others under his wings. A great person to work with i must say and i am sure because i have met him in person and he is high spirited.
- PETER OKOYE: One of the duos from the Psquare crew, Peter Okoye comes next in this category with over 3.1 million followers on Instagram. AT the early stage of his career, he started out with his brother Paul under the management of their elder brother, Jude “Engees” Okoye. In recent times, the duo have had to go their separate ways as it has been nothing but one family feud after the other both home issues as well as the entertainment industry issues. Peter Okoye later changed his stage name to Mr.P and that is what he goes by now.
- PATORANKING: Real name happens to be Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie but popularly known as Patoranking has over 3.1 million followers on Instagram as well. Patoranking took to the reggae and dancehall genre of music and paved quite a path for his career in no time. The artist who came into the spot light under the wings of Timaya with his first banger known to be “Alubarika” and immediately followed it with “Girlie O” which was on replay in every club or hangout spots including individuals playlist. The artist has made it for himself in the industry and well, he happens to be one of the judges at the Voice Nigeria proudly sponsored by Airtel.
- KOREDE BELLO: One of the young lads under the strong wings of the Mavin boss, Don Jazzy is next on the list with 2.6 million followers on Instagram. He came into the spot light of the entertainment industry with his hit single, “Godwin” which was partly a pop song and a gospel song on the other hand.
- BASKET MOUTH: With 2.6 million followers, the ace comedian and veteran rapper comes next. Bright Okpocha happens to be his birth name before venturing into the art of comedy and getting the stage name, Basket Mouth. Known for top stand-up comedy shows across the globe, Basket Mouth is really a rare gift to Nigeria and the entertainment industry.
- TEKNO MILES: popularly known as Tekno but with an original birth name of Augustine Miles Kelechi comes next with over 2.5 million followers on Instagram. The “PANA” crooner was born in Bauchi, Nigeria although hails from Ebonyi state while he also happens to be a world class talent, songwriter, performer, choreographer amongst other talents.
- 2BABA: Our one and only official Innocent Idibia aka 2baba comes out with over 2.5 million followers on Instagram as well. We all know he actually is one of many who have been in the game for a very long time but then again, his humility and calmness has made him the great man he is today. Tuface Idibia is a father to many (aka father Abraham) but married to Annie Idibia.
- OLAMIDE: Olamide Adedeji popularly known as just Olamide or Baddo Sneh or Pepe Sneh is on the same range with Tekno and Tuface with over 2.5 million followers on Instagram as well. We all know how Olamide kicked off his career by dropping his first hit single “Eni Duro” and also moving on to establish his own record label we know as YBNL – Yahoo Boy No Laptop. Olamide is seen as our present day living Da’grin with lots of hits as well as killing shows back to back. King of the streets as he is well known, Olamide has a major and positive impact in the entertainment industry giving rise to harboring upcoming artistes we now know today to have made it big as well. YBNL featured artistes such as Viktoh, Lil’Kesh (now the CEO of YAGI) as well as Adekunle Gold who also left the label to be a boss of his own.
(This list was compiled in October 2017)
If you feel some names were left out, please let us know in the comments below.