Food is an essential part of our lifestyle; good food is an acquired taste that makes dining interesting. Great cuisines are a source of joy for us all, especially with the creative displays and daring exhibitions. In the days of social media, food is one of the favourite posts that leaves followers in a mouth-watering daze.
Top 10 Nigerian Male Chefs on Instagram
- Gbugbemi Fregene: Gbugbemi was born in Benin city, attending Olashore school in Osun city before heading to Covenant University. He graduated in 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in Industrial Relations and Human Management.Popularly known as Chef Fregs, Gbugbemi Fregene is undoubtedly the best chef in Nigeria with his glamorous expertise in french and Nigerian cuisine. He has a passion for creative display of sweet tasting food, this passion and zeal drove him to Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute in Paris to further master the art of cookery. Chef Fregs started in humbling beginnings as a suya seller, he emphasized that through hard work, being nice to people, seeking knowledge and producing quality over quantity, he achieved success. Currently Chef Fregs has established himself in the Nigerian culinary industry, attending culinary events such as Knorr Taste Quest and coping handsome endorsement deals.
Instagram Account: @chef_fregs
- Tolu Erogbogbo: Tolu Erogbogbo popularly known as Chef Eros, is arguably Nigeria’s bet chef. He founded Cookies Jar Bakeries also currently is the Chief Executive at Chef Eros and Gourmet foods. His strong business acumen and matured cookery arts has earned him a place among West Africa’s best. He has mentored young and prospective chefs at the GT Bank Food and Drink Fair. His restaurant specializes in cakes and pastries for all events.
Instagram Account: @chefero
- Michael Elegbede: Michael Ade Elegbede started his cooking exploits at a very early age while helping his mother and grandmother run their locally owned restaurant. He found his passion at a young age, while helping out in th kitchen. He started learning to cook professionally at Alliance Bakery in Chicago, before returning to school to further gain more knowledge. He attended Culinary Institute of America Greystone in California, where he graduated with a degree in Culinary arts. He continued to work top restaurants across America including renowned Eleven Madison Park Restaurant in New York.Michael Elegbede is loved in Nigeria because his expertise is in Nigerian cuisine. He travels round the country cooking the delicacies of whatever area he finds himself, winning him wide support across different sections of the country. He has vowed to rediscover our hidden flavors, ingredients and cooking cultures.
Instagram Account: @elegbede.m
- Benedict Okozu: Benedict Okozu is an expert in Italian cuisines, he combines his Nigerian roots with his acquired Italian culinary skills to create exquisite dishes. Chef Okozu attended the Le Cordon Bleu Firenze and Carpiagiani University, Bologna. Here, he gained expertise in the art of cookery.
Instagram Account: @chef_benedict
- Carlos Azikiwe: He has over 5k followers on Instagram. He is known for beautiful display of varying cuisines on a white spotless plate.
Instagram Account: @snickety_lemoine
- Rapahel Duntoye: Raphael Duntoye became a Chef Patron at La Petite Maison, he also worked 5 years with Pierre Koffman at the 3 Michelin Star La Tante Claire. He is a protégé of Koffman, learning the roles of British culinary history and he is in a team of other top chefs such as Ramsey Gordon, Tom Akeins, Marcus Wareing and Michel Roux Jr.Raphael Duntoye is a connoisseur of French cuisines. He sacrificed a career in engineering to chase his lifelong dreams of becoming a top chef. He gained his culinary skills in Butlers Wharf Chef School in the UK and worked as an Executive Sous chef at Sketch in the highbrow area of Mayfair. He later worked as a Senior Sous Chef at the Japanese restaurant Zuma in the most expensive area in London, Knightsbridge. La Petite Maison which is run by this chef has branches in Dubai, Miami and Abu Dhabi.Chef Raphael later created a Christianna Foundation in Nigeria to raise money to revamp the educational infrastructure and provide basic amenities.You can follow his innovative food displays on
Instagram Account: @lpmlondon
- Tunde Wey: This young chef has a deep love for his country, its food and culture. He is self-trained, ignoring bourgeois celebrity restaurateurs and expensive cooking schools. He arrived in America at age 16, while in college, he worked as a West African Dance Instructor and served food at Wendy’s later. After moving to Detroit to live with his aunty, he and his old-time roommate Peter Dalinowski started an innovative restaurant concept called the Revolver. Like its name, the restaurant opens with a rotating line of chefs. In April of 2014, Wey went on tour around these American cities, Chicago, Buffalo, Washington, Philadelphia and New York City hosting Nigerian themed diners as a guest chef at top restaurants. He got recognised by New York Times, they decided to produce a documentary about his passion for cooking. He is motivated by the need to create diversity in the culinary industry, changing the way people view Nigerian food in general.
- Alex Oke: Chef Alex Oke is based in Lagos, he is enthusiastic about bread, pastry and confections. He is skilled in both classical and contemporary French cuisine, having gained his cookery arts from Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts in Vancouver, Canada. He picked up cooking experience at Lear Faye in East Vancouver before embarking on a trip back home. Currently he runs his private bakery, XO Boutique Bakery and occasionally mentors at the Culinary School in Lagos.
Instagram Account: @Alexcooksfood
- Abiola Akanji: Abiola Akanji, popularly known as Chef Stone is the founder of a culinary school, Red Dish Chronicles. He studied at London Metropolitan University where he studied Business Administration. He started cooking as a child in his mother’s kitchen. During his undergraduate studies, he started racking up cooking experience by working part time in top hotels around London. He mastered the art of cookery at French Culinary Institute in New York city. Upon his return to Nigeria, he discovered a variety of spices and flavors which prompted his entrepreneurial exploits. He founded a culinary school, acquired his business acumen and friendly management style has ensured the success of his venture.