Date of Birth: December 1, 1951
Place of Origin: Ohaozara Local Government Area of Ebonyi State in Nigeria.
Education & Qualification.
- In 1976, graduated with a first class honors degree in Chemical Engineering at the University of Lagos
- Doctor of Philosophy degree in Chemical Engineering (without passing through a Masters degree) at the reputable University of California, Berkeley, California, USA, in 1980,
- A pioneer staff in the Faculty of Engineering and the first Head of the Department of Chemical Engineering
- Taught at the University of Port Harcourt as the pioneer Head of the Department of Chemical Engineering.
- President of the Rotary Club of Port Harcourt and the Chairman of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers of old Rivers, Cross River and Akwa Ibom States’ Chapter.
- Pioneer National President of the Raw Materials Society of Nigeria.
- Member of the First Board of Governors of the Federal Government Raw Materials Research and Development Council.
- Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers
- Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Engineering.
- Longest served Directors of the Nigeria Cement Company, Nigercem, Nkalagu, Ebonyi State.
- In 1991, Dr. Onu was elected the first Governor of old Abia State.
- The 2004 Man of the Year of the reputable American Biographical Institute
- Governor of the Year (1992) Award
- Star Governor (1993) Award.
- Kwame Nkrumah Leadership Award 2011/2012 by the West African Students Union Parliament
- “Vanguard of True Democracy” award by the Pan African Students Union Parliament.
- Honorary Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) by the Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State
- University of Lagos Golden Jubilee Distinguished Alumni Award.
Traditional Chieftaincy Titles
- Ikeoha Uburu
- Dike-Eji-Eme-Udo of Eastern States
- Akajiugo Nnewi
- Ogbuagu Abiriba
- Ugochinyere Umuahia
- Ozurumba Orlu
- Odiukonamba Eziudo Mbaise
- Dikeora Abagana
- Ikemba Afikpo.
- Togbe Kwami Vidza of Kpando District, Ghana.
- Onu is a member of the ancient and noble order of the Knights of St. John International (KSJ).
- “Technology and National Development”
- “Building a Modern Nigeria”
- “A Footprint: Memoirs of a Chief Servant”.