Born as Daniel Melaye in Kano state on 1st January 1974, Dino is a Senator and a member of the 8th National Assembly, representing Kogi West constituency. He is a member of the ruling party, APC and also the Chairman Senate Committee on FCT.
Who Is Dino Melaye?
Dino was an active member of the student union during his undergraduate studies at Ahmadu Bello University where he was studying geography. He went on to lead the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), African Youth Council and Commonwealth Youth Council. He was subsequently appointed as the Chairman, Presidential Advisory Council on Youth by then President Olusegun Obasanjo.
His political career started early on, he is known for his bold moves, swagger and stylish personality.
DINO Melaye’s Curriculum Vitae & Journey in Politics
Melaye was known for his strong opposition to the Goodluck Jonathan presidency. He was a Member House of Representatives under the platform of the All Progressive Congress.
In 2015, he won Kogi Senatorial West district. He seconded the nomination of Senator Bukola Saraki in his controversial bid that led to his emergence as Senate President.
Melaye’s political career has not been spared of controversies and drama.
As a senator, he was accused of operating a US bank account in violation of the Nigerian law. He has continued to deny this accusation, calling them frivolous.
Dino Melaye went through the certificate scandal in 2017. The online news platform Sahara Reporters claimed that the serving senator did not graduate from Ahmadu Bello University. This rumor has finally been debunked by the university vice-chancellor. He presented evidence of Dino’s graduation. Dino is his jovial nature, attended the plenary at the National Assembly in his graduation robes to mock the accusations.
In June 2017, the people of Dino’s consistently called for his recall from the National Assembly. The senator claimed that the process was a witch hunt by his incumbent Governor Yahaya Bello, with whom he has been at loggerheads.
He said, “Spending over N1bn of taxpayers’ money on an unproductive venture, when salaries and pensions have not been paid, is wicked.” Eventually, the recall process failed after INEC was unable to verify the signatures needed to proceed with the recall.
Recently Senator Dino Melaye was involved in a fracas with the police.”I have just been arrested at the international wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport on my way to Morocco for an official engagement sponsored by the Federal Govt after checking in”. He tweeted this before being picked up by the authorities.
He refused to respond to police requests for interrogation and was eventually picked up at his home in Abuja. On his way to Kogi state to face prosecution for his alleged weaponizing of bandits in his home state. He jumped out of the moving police convoy and was subsequently hospitalized.
Dino Melaye’s Personal Life
Dino Melaye is divorced, he is currently unmarried. He was married to Tokunbo for 10 years and together they had 3 children, 2 boys, and girls. The marriage ended in a controversial manner, with the wife filing for a divorce after a domestic altercation. He subsequently got involved with Alero Falope in a short-lived affair.
Dino Melaye’s Authorship
His 600-paged book “ Antidotes for Corruption, The Nigerian Story “ was launched on 15th May 2017. This occasion was graced by who of who within Nigeria’s polity such as Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Senate President Bukola Saraki, Deputy senate president, Ike Ekweremmadu, Speaker House of Representative, Yakubu Dogara, former first lady, Patience Jonathan, Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Bello Mohammed, his Labour and Productivity counterpart, Dr. Chris Ngige and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Dr. Anyim Pius Anyim,Dr Emeka Anyaoku, Jerry Rawlings, amongst others.
The event took place at Yar’adua Centre in Abuja.
SEE ALSO DINO MELAYE’S WIDE RANGE OF HIGHLY EXPENSIVE CARS
Contributions & Bills Passed At the National Assembly
Constituency projects are a vital responsibility of every legislator. During his time at the lower legislative chambers, Dino pushed for electricity, solar power, motorized boreholes in over 15 wards, purchase of free jamb forms and payment of tuition fees to the betterment of Kogites.
Bills sponsored by Senator Dino Melaye:
- Economic and Financial Crime Commission (Establishment, etc.) Bill 2015 (SB.94)-1ST READING
- Disability Integration Bill 2015 (SB. 95)
- Ecclesiastical Court (Establishment, etc.) Bill 2015 (SB.96) – 1ST READING
- Protection Against Domestic Violence Act (Amendment) Bill 2015 (SB.97)
- Deep Offshore and Inland Basin Production Sharing Contract Act Cap D3 LFN 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2015 (SB. 98) – 1ST READING
- Lobbying Disclosure Act (Amendment) Bill 2015 (SB 99) passed 2nd reading to the committee on Judiciary.
- Anti-Jungle Justice Bill 2015 (SB. 109), passed 2nd reading to the committee on Judiciary.
- Price Control and anti-protesting Bill 2015 (SB 110)
- National Lottery Act 2005 (Amendment) Bill 2016 (SB: 227) Passed.
- Lobbying (Regulations) Bill 2016 (SB. 258) 1ST READING
- National Orientation Agency Act (Amendment) Bill 2016 (SB. 333)
- Residency Right for every citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Bill 2016 (AB. 356) 1ST READING
- Federal University of Agriculture Kabba (Establishment, etc.) Bill 2016 (SB. 402) Passed 2nd reading to the committee on Tertiary Institutions & TETFUND
- Facial Mutilation Prohibition Bill 2016 (SB. 408) 1ST READING
- Ethnic and Religious Hatred Bill 2017 (SB. 420)
Motions Sponsored by Senator Dino Melaye:
- Motion on corruption in the Manitoba deal
- Motion on ailing Ajaokuta steel company, a threat to Nigeria industrial growth
- Motion on dredging of river Niger
- The collapse of road infrastructure in Nigeria
- Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja contract
- The abduction of Chibok girls – Two years on
- A disturbing development in the Nigerian aviation industry – 03/2016
- Discrepancies in subsidy payment and non-remittance of funds by NNPC to the federation account
- Proposed policy on Federal Road Safety Commission ( FRSC) to sell and install limit devices on cars
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Motion on repatriation of over N2 Trillion from Nigeria by MTN
- Abuse and Mismanagement of the Single Treasury Account regime
- Nonpayment of teachers salary across the country, 07/2016
- Matters of urgent public Importance regarding unfounded allegations by the AGF on presiding officers of the Senate.
- Unscrupulous violation of the foreign exchange act
- Co-sponsored with Senator Phillip Taminu Dauda – continued implementation of Federal Capital Territory Statutory Appropriation Act 2016
- Motion on the deplorable state of the following roads: Kabba-Ilorin road, Iluke-Aiyetoro Kiri road, Abugi- Egan road, Iyara – Omuo road.
- Matter of Urgent Public Importance “The unlawful and criminal withholding of public revenue by NNPC and NPDC from 2013 till date “
- Irregularities in the awards contract by Bureau of Public Procurement. 01/2017
- Urgent completion for OMI DAM. 11/2016
Despite his controversial nature, Senator Dino Melaye has received awards and accolades for his contributions to the development of his constituents and Nigerians in general.
National Association of Kogi State Students ( NAKSS) – Award of Excellence
News in Africa – Excellence Gold Award 2010
Chief Obafemi Awolowo/AWOIST Leadership Award – Most Outstanding Representative Award
Student Representative Council College of Technology, Lagos – Magnificent Award
International Parliamentary Watch USA – African Parliamentarian of the Year 2008
National Association of Kogi State Students – 2008 NAKOSS Legislative Award
Ijumu Legislative Council – Quality Representation Award
Ayetoro Gbede Students Union – Gold Medal Award
Ijumu Development Movement – Merit Award of Service
1 Otunba of Bunu Kingdom
2 Arogundade of Ogagi kingdom
3 Amuro Olugbayi of Gbede Kingdom
4 Gbeluro of Ogidi Kingdom
5 Ariwajoye of Ekinrin Adde people