Formerly, losing one’s hair was seen as being genetic or a sign that you are aging and this has caused a lot of worries among ladies that want to flaunt a natural and long hair.
Our hair is made up of keratin which is a protein that is produced in the hair follicles to aid hair production. Although losing strands of hair might not be a cause for alarm because an average adult has over 100,000 strands of hair and loses up to 100 strands every day.
Hair loss is caused by many factors that range from a stressful lifestyle, medication, hormonal imbalance, and diet. In an attempt to get a lasting solution to hair loss, and want to grow our hair fast, we tend to be in search of products that can help us achieve this kind of result, forgetting most of these products are chemical filled and can harm our body.
Opting for home remedies seem like the best option when you want to grow your hair faster, as it is pocket-friendly, can be done by yourself, and has little or no side effects at all.
Natural Home Remedies for Hair Growth
- Coconut milk: This is highly effective when used to speed hair growth. Coconut milk contains iron, essential fats, and potassium that aids hair production.To use, extract coconut milk from a fresh coconut, add a squeeze of lemon juice, and drops of lavender oil. Mix all the ingredients together and apply evenly on your scalp. Mix all the ingredients together and apply evenly on the scalp. Allow the mixture to sit on your hair for about 5 hours before you rinse off. This method can be done one a week or every other week.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Rinse: Apple cider vinegar helps maintain the pH balance of the hair which in turn promotes hair growth. It also cleanses the scalp.To use this rinse, dilute apple cider vinegar with warm water, and use it to rinse your hair after the regular washing with shampoo and conditioner. Apart from boosting hair growth, it also adds sheen to the hair.
- Onion Juice: The remedy has been used for quite sometime now, and is quite effective. Onions contain sulphur which helps boost the collagen production in tissues that helps improve hair growth. Some people might not find it too comfortable to use because of the strong smell onion has, but the smell goes away after washing the hair.To use, grind onions and extract the juice. Use the juice to wash the hair.
- Egg Mask: The use of egg mask for improvement of hair growth is quite popular and known by a lot of people. However, if you are wondering what it is and how it is used, then you should know that it is the process of adding proteins to the hair. Eggs are rich in protein, iron, zinc, sulphur, selenium, iodine and phosphorus.To prepare the egg mask, separate the egg white from the yolk, and add olive oil, lavender oil or grapeseed oil to the egg white mixture, add honey and mix together to form a paste. Apply on the hair and scalp and let it sit for about 20minutes. Rinse with cool water and wash off with shampoo. Avoid using hot water to wash the hair as it might make the hair egg in the hair cook and form lumps on the hair.
- Green Tea: instead of throwing away your tea bags after use, you can put them to great use by using them as a home remedy to grow your hair. Green tea contains antioxidants that help boost your hair growth and also prevent hair loss.To use this, soak the used tea bag with warm water, apply the water gotten from the tea bag to rinse your hair, and let it sit for about an hour before you rinse out with cool water.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek is an old herb that is very effective in hair growth. It contains nicotinic acid and proteins which are very good stimulators of hair growth.To use, add a tablespoon of fenugreek with water and grind until the paste becomes smooth, mix coconut oil with the formed paste (you can also use coconut milk), and apply evenly to the hair. allow it to sit for about 30 minutes before washing off with shampoo.Besides encouraging hair growth, fenugreek help retains the natural hair colour.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe Vera contains proteolytic enzymes that help removes dead cell that build-up in your scalp and also stimulates the hair follicle. It keeps the hair and scalp well moisturised for a good hair texture and growth.To use, extract the gel of the aloe vera, and apply on your scalp and hair. let it sit for about one hour before you rinse out with water. This remedy can be done once in two weeks.